- Date: - -
- Venue: To Be Announced
Wagdy Anis Symposium on Building Science 2021
High Performance Building Enclosures: Risks and Rewards
September 23, 2021
The Boston Building Enclosure Council (B-BEC)
Call for Abstracts:
Building on the success of our 2019 event, the Boston Building Enclosure Council is planning a second symposium in honor of Wagdy Anis. The theme for 2021 is based on a central tenet of Wagdy’s career: high perfor-mance building enclosures will reward building owners with both durability and energy conservation, as long as the risks are managed through well-informed design and construction. We welcome participants repre-senting a wide a range of perspectives, from building ownership and oper-ations, to strategies for effective design, engineering and construction at each phase of a project, to research & development of construction meth-ods, materials and products. Our goal is to host a spirited dialogue on the beneﬁts and challenges of achieving a well-designed building enclosure through collaboration between all participants in the design and construc-tion process. The one-day symposium will be preceded by an all-day introductory program “Building Enclosures 101”.
We encourage members of the design and construction community to submit 200-word abstracts on the theme “High Performance Building Enclosures: Risks and Rewards” for consideration. The structure of the symposium will include 30-minute talks and 90-minute panel presenta-tions. We recommend that each panel include no more than 4 speakers. Abstracts from students regarding their research will be welcomed.
Topics of interest include:
- Physics of heat air and moisture management: Advances in theory and practice, consideration of the impact of future climate change.
- Current research and development: New materials, as well as new design and construction methods.
- Energy performance standards: Passive House; Net Zero Energy codes; BERDO, embodied carbon.
- Best practices: Integration of building enclosure assemblies with building mechani-cal systems.
- Design & construction process: Ideal work-ﬂow for achieving a high performance building.
- QA/QC: Building enclosure commissioning, testing and other methods of veriﬁcation.
- Case studies: Successful application of principles and lessons learned on new build-ings and renovation of existing buildings.
April 16, 2021: Abstract submissions due
May 28, 2021: Committee will ﬁnalize program and notify presenters
August 27, 2021: Presentation slides due
CLICK HERE to learn more